By Ashley Riley, GPG Vice President
Don’t forget your pet during the holidays! They love to eat just as much as you do, so consider making some homemade dog treats along with the fudge and the peppermint bark this year. Natural and unprocessed ingredients make for healthier dogs, so I’ve added a few substitution suggestions for those who prefer it.
- 1 cup rolled oats *steel cut oats
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter *substitute apple sauce for a healthier option
- 1 cup boiling beef broth
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons white sugar *substitute sugar in the raw
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter *substitute a natural peanut butter over processed ones
- 1 egg, beaten (or 2 eggs to make treats softer for older dogs) *cage free, free range
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
Combine rolled oats, margarine/butter, and boiling beef broth in a large bowl. Let stand and soften for 10 minutes. Thoroughly stir in cornmeal, sugar, bouillon, milk, peanut butter, and egg. Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough comes together. Knead dough together so that it looks like this:
Roll out dough to 1/2″ thickness and cut out shapes with cookie cutter.
Place on a cookie sheet and bake 35 to 45 minutes at 325 degrees, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool:
All packaged up and ready to mail to your doggy friends all over!
We found this recipe at ComeonIlene.com via Pinterest! Check out our boards for more fun treat recipes, home made toys, and much more.
[spacer height=”15px”][divider][spacer height=”15px”]
[alert type=”warning” color=”#888″ show_close=”true”]Back to Gateway Pet Gazette Front Page. Click here for more stories.[/alert]